From Chugwater Chili to Luxury Diner green, Wyomingites know how to whip up a mean bowl of chili. A hearty helping of chili works wonders during Wyoming winters—for your soul and smile.
Put on your chef’s hat and get cooking with this recipe:
The Perfect Wyoming Chili
Serves: 4 – 6
Time: 24 – 30 minutes
• 2 tablespoons of olive oil
• 1 medium jalapeno, finely chopped
• 1 small onion, finely chopped
• 1 medium green or red bell pepper, chopped
° Pearly White Perk: Bell peppers are a great source of vitamin A, which strengthens blood vessels and connective tissues in gums.
• 3 cloves of garlic, minced
° Pearly White Perk: Garlic contains allicin, an anti-bacterial property that can help prevent tooth decay.
• 1 pound of ground turkey
° Pearly White Perk: Turkey is rich in protein and contains phosphorus. When combined with vitamin D and calcium, phosphorus improves tooth and jaw development and strengthens enamel.
• 1 cup of water
• 16 ounces of diced tomatoes
• 16 ounces of red kidney beans
° Pearly White Perk: Kidney beans are high in fiber, which helps defend against plaque-causing bacteria.
• 1 cup of frozen or canned corn kernels
• 1 teaspoon of cayenne pepper
• 1 teaspoon of chili powder
• 1 teaspoon of cumin
• Pinch of cheddar cheese, for topping
• Dollop of sour cream, for topping
° Pearly White Perk: Dairy contains vitamin D and calcium, which strengthens teeth and bones, preventing tooth loss.
• 1 avocado, cubed for topping
1. Heat olive oil in a pot over medium heat. Add onion, peppers, garlic and jalapeno. Cook until tender and onion is translucent, about 5 minutes.
2. Add in ground turkey, cayenne pepper, chili powder and cumin. Stir and break turkey apart and cook until browned, about 7 – 10 minutes.
3. Stir in water, tomatoes, red kidney beans and corn. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer until thickened, about 12 – 15 minutes.
4. Serve and top with cheese, sour cream and avocado.