We love warming up with this seasonal favorite, but the version found at most coffee shops doesn’t quite cozy up to teeth. This autumn treat is loaded with sugar — up to 50 grams per cup! Consuming high amounts of sugar feeds the bacteria that cause plaque, which can form cavities.
So what’s a pumpkin spice-loving smile to do?
Don’t ignore your pumpkin spice fever for the sake of your smile! Instead, try the following homemade recipe for a healthier alternative to your autumn addiction.
Tooth-Friendly Pumpkin Spiced Latte
Time: 5 – 10 minutes
- 8 ounces of coffee brewed with a dash of cinnamon and nutmeg.
Tooth-Friendly Perk: These spices can add flavor, reducing or replacing sweetener in your drink.
- 4 tablespoons of pumpkin puree
Tooth-Friendly Perk: Pumpkin is filled with vitamin A, which helps strengthen tooth enamel.
- ½ cup of low-fat milk
Tooth-Friendly Perk: Milk contains vitamin D and calcium, which strengthen teeth and bones, preventing tooth loss.
- 1 teaspoon of pumpkin pie spice
- 1 teaspoon of vanilla or almond extract
- 2-3 drops of agave nectar or honey, if desired
- Sprinkle of cinnamon and nutmeg
1. Mix milk with pumpkin puree in a saucepan and heat over stovetop at medium heat.
2. Remove mixture from heat and stir in vanilla, pumpkin pie spice, and agave nectar.
3. Froth mixture using a milk frother or blender.
4. Combine mixture with freshly brewed coffee in a large mug.
5. Top with cinnamon and nutmeg.
6. Sip and enjoy!
7. Drink a glass of water afterward to help wash sugar and acid from your teeth.